While it is always great to be mindful of your nonrenewable energy consumption and emissions, it is even better to save money in the process. The increase in prices of gasoline has made many drivers think twice about how their vehicles consume gas. Whatever reason you have to come here, read on to learn some of these fuel-saving tips.
- Monitor tires. Underinflated tires or overall poor tire maintenance can cause your engine to work harder than it needs to. Furthermore, it can force you to replace your tires sooner than later (so even more money out the door). If you want to save money on gas over time, we recommend monitoring your tire pressure as often as possible and filling them to their recommended psi.
- Remove excess weight. We advise you to get rid of any unnecessary items that could be weighing your car down. Less weight removes any stress on the engine.
- Avoid idling. Shut off the engine whenever possible. If you’re waiting in a drive-thru line or a family member or friend gets into the car, turn on the engine and restart at a later time.
- Take it easy on the accelerator and brakes. Sudden acceleration and braking can not only harm your vehicle components, like the brakes, engine, etc., but it can certainly hurt your vehicle’s fuel economy. It is better to drive with gradual movements.
- Use A/C wisely. While some people are under the impression that opening your windows is more efficient than using A/C, that is not always the case. Modern air conditioning systems have become very efficient. And opening your windows when driving at higher speeds can cause drag, which can worsen your gas mileage.
- Keep up with your maintenance and tune-ups. A properly-maintained engine can run at peak efficiency, maximizing gas mileage. You should always follow the automaker’s recommended maintenance schedule. Plus, swapping out dirty filters and exchanging vehicle fluids can promote your vehicle’s efficiency. Getting your maintenance done on time can extend your car’s life, so it’s a win-win situation.
If you notice a change in your automobile’s fuel efficiency, please consult with the vehicle experts at Alma Tire Service. We can assist you with all your car’s maintenance and repairs so that it can run at its best.